Safety & Warnings
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Only use with corresponding voltage, 50Hz and 60Hz.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
- If the supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard.
- The appliance is not intended to be operated by means of an external timer or separate remote-control system.
- This appliance is intended to be used in household and similar applications such as
- Staff kitchen areas in shops
- Offices and other working environments
- By clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments
- Bed and breakfast type environments.
- Caution: hot surface.
- Do not touch the hot surfaces. Use the handle or knobs.
- To protect against the risk of electric shock, do not immerse the cord, plug or unit in water or any other liquid.
- Close supervision is necessary when any appliance is used by or near children.
- Unplug from outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts and before cleaning appliance.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged has malfunctioned or has been damaged in any manner. In order to avoid the risk of an electric shock, never try to repair the unit yourself. Contact Kogan.com Support or an authorised technician. Incorrect reassembly could present a risk of electric shock when the unit is used.
- The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the manufacturer may result in fire, electrical shock or risk of injury to persons.
- Do not use outdoors or for commercial purposes.
- Do not let the power cord hang over the edge of the table or counter or touch hot surfaces.
- Do not place on or near a hot gas stove, electric burner or heated oven.
- Unplug the unit when not in use.
- Do not use the appliance for means other than the intended use as stated in this manual.
- Do not operate by means of an external timer or separate remote-control system.
- Extreme caution must be exercised when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids.
Warning: This unit contains no user-serviceable parts. To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, only authorised personnel should do repairs.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, this appliance has a grounded plug. If the plug does not fit fully into the electrical outlet, please contact a qualified electrician. Do not modify the plugin any way or use an adapter.
1. Left lift lever
2. Upper housing
3. Right lift lever
4. Lift lever button
5. 180°Angle button
6. Bottom housing
7. Grill non-stick plate
8. Ready light
9. Power light
10. Thermostat knob
12. Oil tray
Before First Use
- Read all instructions carefully and keep them for future reference.
- Remove all packaging
- Clean the cooking plates by wiping with a sponge or cloth dampened in warm water.
Do not immerse the unit in water and do not run water directly on the cooking surface.
- Dry with a cloth or paper towel.
- For best results, lightly coat the cooking plates with a little cooking oil or cooking spray.
Notice: When your unit is heated for the first time, it may emit a slight smoke or odour. This is normal with heating appliances. This does not affect the safety of your appliance.
How to Use
Before using the appliance for the first time, peel off any promotional materials and packaging materials and check that the cooking plates are clean and dust-free. If necessary, wipe over with a damp cloth. For best results, pour a teaspoon of vegetable oil on to the non-stick plates. Spread over with an absorbent kitchen towel and wipe off any excess oil.
Preparing Your Sandwich Press
- Close the press and plug it into the wall outlet. You will see the red power lights indicating that the grill toaster has begun to function. At this time, you can use the thermostat knob to set the temperature to your desired settings: “Minimum” for light-coloured food and “Maximum” for darker food. At first, try with medium settings. You will find the green ready lights indicating that the grill toaster has begun preheating. You may later adjust it to lower or higher settings according to your preference and foods, as different food will cook at different times.
- It will preheat for approximately 3-5 minutes to reach cooking temperature. The green ready light goes out to indicate that the unit is ready for use.
To use as a contact grill:
- Set the grill toaster temperature to your desired settings. At first, try with a setting which is “Medium”.You may later adjust it to lower or higher settings according to your preference.
- Prepare the burgers, boneless pieces of meat, thin cuts of meat or other foods as directed and place it onto the bottom cooking plate.
- Close the top cooking plate which has a floating hinge that is designed to evenly press down the food. The top plate must be fully lowered to achieve grill marks on the selected foods.
- When the food is cooked, use the handle to open the lid. Remove the food with the help of a plastic spatula. Never use metal tongs or a knife as these can damage the non-stick coating of the cooking plates.
- The ribs on the grill plates combined with the grease spout at the corner of the plate allows the grease to drip from the meat and drain off the plates.
- When cooking more than one food item in the contact grill, it is important that the thickness of food items is consistent so the cover will close evenly on the food.
Using the extendable feet:
- In cooking, if you want the extra fats and oils to drain out better, you can open the extendable feet at the bottom. This will angle the plate so gravity can assist with draining.
To use as press grill:
- Set the grill toaster temperature to your desired settings. At first, try with a setting “Maximum”.You may later adjust it to lower or higher settings according to your preference.
- Prepare sandwiches as directed and place it onto the bottom cooking plate. Always place the sandwich on the rear of the bottom cooking plate.
- Close the top cooking plate which has a floating hinge that is designed to evenly press down the sandwich. The top plate must be fully lowered to cook sandwiches.
- Cook for about 3 to 6 minutes or until it become golden brown. Adjust the time to suit your own individual taste.
- When the sandwich is cooked, use the handle to open the lid. Remove the sandwich with the help of a plastic spatula. Never use metal tongs or a knife as these can cause damage to the non-stick coating of the cooking plates.
To use as open grill:
- Place the unit on a clean flat surface where you intend to cook.
- Upper plate/cover should be level with lower plate/base. The upper and lower plates line up to create one large cooking surface. Set the grill toaster to this position and locate the hinge release lever on the right arm.
- Hinge button: With your left hand on the handle, use your right hand to slide the lever toward you. Push the handle back until the cover rests flat on the counter. The unit will stay in this position until you lift the handle and cover to return it to the closed position.
- Use the unit as an open grill to cook burgers, steak, poultry (we do not recommend cooking bone-in chicken since it does not cook evenly on an open grill), fish and vegetables.
- Cooking on the open grill is the most versatile method of using the unit. In the open position, you have doubled the surface area for a grill.
- You have the option of cooking different types of foods separately without combining their flavours or cooking large amount of the same type of food. The open position can also accommodate different cuts of meat with varying thicknesses, allowing you to cook each piece to your liking.
Cleaning & Care
- Always unplug the unit and allow it to cool before cleaning. The unit is easier to clean when slightly warm. There is no need to disassemble the unit for cleaning. Never immerse the unit in water or place in a dishwasher.
- Wipe cooking plates with a soft cloth to remove food residue. For baked-on food residue, squeeze some warm water mixed with detergent over the food residue then clean with a nonabrasive plastic scouring pad or place wet kitchen paper over the grill to moisten the food residue.
- Do not use anything abrasive that can scratch or damage the non-stick coating.
- Do not use metal utensils to remove your food as they can damage the non-stick surface.
- Wipe the exterior of the unit with a damp cloth only. Do not clean the outside with any abrasive scouring pad or steel wool, as this could damage the finish. Do not immerse in water or any other liquid.
- Do not place in the dishwasher.
- Remove and empty the drip tray after each use and wash the tray in warm, soapy water. Avoid the use of scouring pads or harsh detergents as they may damage the surface.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth and replace.
- Always unplug the unit before storage.
- Always make sure the unit is cool and dry before storing.
- The power cord can be wrapped around the bottom of the base for storing.