When attempting to set up your new iPhone and come across the error message:
This error message occurs because the phone is running outdated firmware and wants to be running the latest firmware before activation to avoid any security vulnerabilities and issues.
To update your phone to the latest firmware follow the steps below:
1. Get your iPhones into recovery mode
- Plug your USB lightning cable into a computer with Itunes installed and running, while keeping the iPhone unplugged
- Turn off your iPhone
- While off, push and hold the Home button. While still holding the home button connect the USB lightning cable to your iPhone.
- The Apple logo will show on the screen when the phone turns on. Continue holding the Home button until the screen changes to an image of a lightning cable plugging into a iTunes logo with a black background.
For new iPhones (iPhone X and above)
- With the phone on plug a lightning cable into a computer with iTunes running and the other end into your iPhone.
- With the phone on and unlocked. Press the volume up button once, then press the once down button once, then quickly press and hold the power button until the phone turns off.
- Keep holding the power button until the phone reboots and finally enters recovery mode.
2. Itunes will now recognise the iPhone and prompt that the iPhone needs to be updated or restored.
-Select update and proceed with the prompts iTunes gives you.
3. The new software update for the phone will download through iTunes and will vary in time depending on your internet speeds.
Note: While the firmware file is downloading your iPhone may turn itself off or boot back to the startup screen. Repeat the previous steps to get the phone back into recovery mode.
4. Once the download is complete the update process will begin.
- It will take several minutes for your iPhone to update.
5. Once your iPhone has been updated you can be set up as a new phone either through iTunes with the iPhone still connected to your computer or through the phone.