This is a general guide explaining how to pair SmarterHome™ devices with the SmarterHome™ app.
For advice about how to pair a particular product, refer to your user manual; this document will contain specific pairing instructions for your device.
Before pairing your device, make sure that the SmarterHome™ app is installed on your mobile device.
The SmarterHome™ app is available through the App Store for Apple devices or the Google Play store for Android devices.
Once you have installed the app, sign into your account if you have an existing Kogan SmarterHome™ account, or otherwise register for a new account.
To register a SmarterHome™ account:
- Open the SmarterHome™ app and select 'Sign Up'.
- A verification code will be sent to the email address you provided. When this email arrives, copy the unique registration verification code into the app.
- You will be prompted to create a password for your account. Select a password that contains 6-20 characters and contains a combination of letters and numbers.
Select 'Sign Up'.
Select 'Agree' to accept the terms.
Confirm your details.
Enter the verification code you received.
Choose a password.
Once your account has been successfully registered, you will be automatically logged in and directed to the SmarterHome™ app's home page. You can then proceed to pair your SmarterHome™ device with the app.
If you are having trouble logging into your SmarterHome™ account after registering, please check that you are logging in with the email address used to register your account.
When your SmarterHome™ device is switched on for the first time, it will usually enter pairing mode automatically. This is usually indicated by LEDs or other indicators on the product flashing repeatedly, although this will vary between products.
If your SmarterHome™ device has been set up previously, or if it does not automatically enter pairing mode, you will need to set it to pairing mode manually.
Information about how to manually put your device into pairing mode is outlined in your user manual.
In most cases, you are required to press and hold a button or combination of buttons on the unit.
When in Standard pairing mode, the device will flash rapidly to indicate that it is ready to be paired.
How To Pair Your SmarterHome™ Device (Standard/EZ Pairing Mode)
To pair your device with the SmarterHome™ app, follow the instructions below:
- In the SmarterHome™ app's Home screen, click the red '+' symbol in the top right of the screen to add a new device.
- In the window that opens, select the category of product you are pairing from the menu on the left of the screen. Then, select your device from the list of products in that category. If you are not sure which category your SmarterHome™ device belongs to, you can select 'Auto Scan' from the options at the top of the screen to search for available devices.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter your network password. Make sure to select a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network; 5Ghz networks are not compatible with SmarterHome™ devices. Once you have entered your network details, click 'Next'.
- Check that your SmarterHome™ device is in pairing mode. The app will advise how you can identify whether the device is in pairing mode, or alternatively you can refer to the product's user manual. Once you have confirmed that the device is in pairing mode, click the confirmation bubble and then click 'Next'.
- The SmarterHome™ app will search for and pair your device. A confirmation message will be provided to advise when this process has been completed.
- Once your device has been successfully paired, it will appear in your list of devices on the SmarterHome™ app's Home screen.
Add a new device
Choose your product type.
Enter your WiFi details.
Reset the product.
Pairing will begin.
Other Pairing Modes
If you are unable to successfully pair your device by following the instructions above, you may be able to pair it using an alternative configuration mode.
When prompted to confirm that your device is in pairing mode, click on the button in the upper-right of the screen, then select the configuration mode you wish to use.
Please note that not all pairing modes are available for all devices. Your user manual will outline which pairing modes are available for your device.
When using AP Mode, your SmarterHome™ device will act as a Wi-Fi hotspot. If you have a weak Internet connection, AP Mode may be better suited to pair your device.
To use AP Mode, follow steps 1-3 of the Standard pairing process as outlined above.
Follow the instructions provided by your user manual and the SmarterHome™ app to make sure that your device is in AP pairing mode. Please note that this process may be different to entering standard pairing mode.
When in AP pairing mode, the device will flash slowly to indicate that it is ready to be paired.
After selecting AP Mode as your pairing method, you will be prompted to connect your mobile device to the hotspot created by the SmarterHome™ device. Follow the prompts to connect to this hotspot as you would normally connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Confirm the device is in pairing mode.
Connect your device to the product's WiFi.
Confirm your device is connected.
The app will begin pairing the product.
Once you have connected your mobile device to the SmarterHome™ device's hotspot, click 'Confirm hot spot connection, next' to pair your devices.
QR Mode can be used to pair SmarterHome™ cameras.
When using QR Mode, the SmarterHome™ app will display a QR code, which you should scan using your SmarterHome™ device by holding the device 15-20 centimetres from your phone's screen.
Your device will make a sound to confirm when the QR code has been successfully read.
Once you have heard the sound prompt, click 'I Heard A Prompt' to pair your devices.
Confirm the device has been reset.
Enter your WiFi name and password.
Confirm if you can hear a prompt after scanning the code.
The app will begin pairing the product.
I Cannot Pair My Device With The SmarterHome™ App
If you are not able to pair your device with the SmarterHome™ app by following the instructions above, try the suggestions below to troubleshoot the issue:
- Some SmarterHome™ devices are only compatible with 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi networks. Check that the Wi-Fi network you have selected when pairing the device is a 2.4Ghz network. For further information about networks, refer to Kogan SmarterHome™ WiFi Connection And Pairing Issues - 2.4Ghz And 5Ghz.
- Check that the unit is blinking to confirm that it is in pairing mode.
- If you powered on your SmarterHome™ device before registering a SmarterHome™ account, it may have timed out and exited pairing mode. Follow the instructions in your user manual to re-enter pairing mode.
- Check that your device is set to the correct pairing mode. If you are using Standard Mode, the device should flash rapidly, whereas for AP Mode, it should flash slowly.
- Turn the device off, then turn it back on and return it to pairing mode.
- Make sure that your Internet connection is stable. For advice about Wi-Fi connectivity issues, refer to Wi-Fi Troubleshooting Steps.
- Try pairing your device using all of the available pairing methods. Some modems will connect easier using one of the above methods rather than the others.
- Check whether any updates are available for the SmarterHome™ app.
- Clear the SmarterHome™ app's cache by navigating to 'Me' from the lower menu, clicking 'Settings' and then click 'Clear Cache'.
- Uninstall the SmarterHome™ app from your mobile device, then reinstall it.
For information about how to link your SmarterHome™ account to the Google Home and Alexa apps, please refer to the following article:
If you need any further assistance with your SmarterHome™ device or the SmarterHome™ app, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Care team. We will be happy to help.