If your TV is not responding to your remote, this could be due to either an issue with the remote or the TV's IR receiver, the test on this page will help determine which.
For issues that are related to the voice control or Google Assistant feature rather than the remote, please see the following pages instead:
- Kogan SmarterTV - Pairing with Remote for Voice Control
- Bluetooth Connection Issues with Smarter TVs
Please follow the steps below to test your remote.
- Please remove the batteries from the remote, press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, then reinsert the batteries
- If that doesn't work, replace the batteries in your remote. Ensure you replace the batteries with unused batteries that are less than three years old, and do not mix different batteries. We recommend lithium-ion batteries to ensure the best performance and longevity
- Test the remote. If it is still not working, move to the next step
- If you have access to a digital camera that has a screen, or a phone that has a camera, turn it on and direct the remote at the camera's lens
Note: On an iPhone, please use the front-facing camera, as the rear camera will not show the light.
- While looking through the camera, try pressing any of the buttons that are having issues and look for a flash of light. The flash is not visible to the naked eye, and can only be seen through the camera's display
If the remote is working, there will be a flash of light visible on the end of the remote, similar to that shown in the photos below.
If you see a flash of light and the remote is still not working correctly, or if you see flashes while you are not pressing any buttons, check to make sure none of the remote's buttons are stuck.
If no lights are appearing, and you have tried replacing the batteries, your remote may be faulty.
Replacement remotes for your TV may be available on our website here if your warranty has expired. Please contact support via your Kogan.com account for the availability of replacements, or possibility for ex-warranty repair.
Remote Is Working But The TV Isn’t?
If the remote is appearing to work correctly (lights appearing only when you press buttons) and the TV is still not responding, there may be an issue with your TV's IR receiver. As such we may need to have your TV assessed by one of our authorised repair agents.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Support Team with the results from the above test via your Kogan.com account.