Safety & Warnings
- Read all instructions before using the appliance and retain for reference.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- This appliance is designed for consumer use: follow directions and use only as described.
- Keep the scanner away from water and other liquids. Do not use it with wet hands. Never use the appliance in the rain or snow. Moisture creates a risk of fire and electric shock.
- Use only the recommended accessories and do not use power sources not expressly recommended for the appliance.
- The Combo Album Scanner may become slightly warm during use. This does not indicate malfunction.
- If the exterior of it needs cleaning, wipe it with a soft, dry cloth.
- This appliance contains no user-serviceable parts and its high-voltage internal parts are can create the risk of electric shock if exposed. If it suffers any failure or damage, cease usage and contact Kogan Support after consulting the Troubleshooting section of this manual.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B Digitize device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy. If not installed and used in accordance with the instruction, it may cause harmful interference to radio communication. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment on to off, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more the following suggestions.
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the distance between the equipment and the receiver.
- Connect the equipment and receiver to different power outlets.
- Consult an experienced television or radio technician for help.
To comply with the limits for a Class B Digitize device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules, this device must only be installed on computer equipment certified to comply with the Class B limits.
This unit may contain a microcomputer for signal processing and control function. In very rare situations, severe interference, noise from an external source, or static electricity may cause it to lock up. In the unlikely event that this should happen, turn off the unit, wait at least five seconds, and then turn it back on again.
Parts & Accessories
Quick Start Guide
Negative & Slide Holders
LED Status Indicators
Red LED: On; charging (when is fully charged, LED indicator turns off)
Green LED: Photo scanning
Blue LED: Lights up when film scanning is set
NOTE: it is recommended to use bundled brush to insert into the Combo Album Scanner slot and clean the glass surface periodically to produce a clear image. Please make sure your film negatives/ mounted slides and their holders are clean before inserting into the Combo Album Scanner as well. Dust or dirt from the film holder will affect the quality of your scanned images.
Installing Battery Pack
- Open the Battery Door by lightly pressing and sliding the door latch.
- Insert the supplied battery. Make sure the (+ and -) ends of the battery match to the polarities indicated in the battery compartment.
- Snap the cover back and press the latch into place.
Charging Battery Pack
The battery pack is not fully charged at the time of purchase and therefore needs to be charged before use. If the battery charge becomes low while you are using the scanner, it is recommended to recharge it as soon as possible.
The battery should be charged for at least three hours prior to the first use.
- Insert the battery pack into the battery compartment.
- Connect the Micro USB cable to the scanner's USB connector and to either the power adaptor or the USB port of a PC or laptop.
NOTE: The scanner can also be operated without the battery, after the Power Adaptor and USB cable is connected to the scanner.
Preparing for Use
- Insert SD card into the SD Card Slot until the card locks in place. Push once again to release the card. Unit accepts only SD or SDHC card up to a maximum of 32GB.
- Install battery.
- Select media to be scanned. Slide Photo/Film focus and light switch to the appropriate media.
- Press the power button, then the OK button to select NO (means not linked to a computer) on the pop up icon on the LCD screen. LED indicator will illuminate: the scanner is now ready for use.
NOTE: If you are not able to see the light from your LCD screen, slide the Photo/Film Light Switch to its proper position.
NOTE: The film tray doubles as the base for this unit. You must detach it to scan photos.
Scanning Photo Album/Magazine/Photo
- Slide the Photo/Film Focus Switch to “PHOTO”
- Slide the Photo/Film Light Switch to “PHOTO”
- With the film tray removed, place the scanner on the picture in the photo album, magazine or photo you want to scan.
- Press Power Button to turn on the scanner. A preview of the media will be displayed.
- Select the size of the photo (3.5”x5” or 4”x6”, 4”x4”, 4.2”x3.2”, 3.4”x2.1”) by pressing the Down Button.
- Press the OK Button to scan the picture. The scanned digital image will automatically store on your SD card.
NOTE: 4x4”, 4.2x3.2” and 3.4X2.1” are the sizes of photo for Poloroid and Fuji instant film.
NOTE: You may scan your photo by placing it on the Photo Tray for scanning. You can also scan directly from your photo album without removing the pictures from their holder.
If you see a black image on the LCD screen, check that both switches are on the Photo setting. Do not insert the film holder into the scanner when scanning photo.
The exposure of the scanner is set automatically. On some occasions you need to adjust the brightness (exposure) of your subject.
- Press the EV/Delete button to adjust exposure value.
- Press up or down button to adjust the exposure compensation from +2EV to -2EV in 0.5 increments. The amount of compensation is shown at the bottom of the LCD.
- Press the EV/Delete button again to complete the setting.
- Keep the glossy surface of your film in the upward direction.
Open the negative/ positive slide holder as Illustrated.
- Put a positive slide/ negative film into holder as shown.
- Close the holder and please make sure the holder is closed properly.
- Slide the Photo/Film Focus Switch to “FILM”
- Slide the Photo/Film Light Switch to “FILM”
Insert the loaded film/ slide holder properly into the slot according to the sign shown on the scanner and film holder.
You can adjust the location of the film by moving the film holder; the film holder can be moved in both directions.
Keep your picture in the rectangular white frame shown on the LCD screen, improper adjustment of picture may copy the black edges of the film holder.
If the black edge of a slide film is on top or bottom, tilt the scanner to compensate.
Film Type Selection
- To select film type on the screen, press Film Type Button.
Note: Improper selection of Film type may get improper color results from your LCD screen and the images you scanned.
- Press the OK Button to convert picture to Digital image.
- To get the best digitised image, wait 3-4 seconds for the LCD screen to adjust the brightness and stabilise.
NOTE: For power saving the scanner will automatically go into sleep condition if you are not using it for more than 3 minutes. You may wake up the scanner by pressing any button. If not used for a further 6 minutes, it will turn off automatically.
- Move the film holder to the next picture.
- Press Playback Button to view the digital images on your SD card. You will see the playback icon in the lower left hand corner, as shown below.
- Press UP and DOWN Buttons to navigate.
- Press Playback Button again for slideshow view.
- To delete an image: Press the Delete Button once under Playback Mode and then the Up Button to select YES (NO to return to Playback Mode). Press the OK Button to delete current image.
- To delete all images: press the delete button twice and then the up button to select YES. Press the OK button to delete.
- To format the SD card: Press the delete button three times and then the up button and select YES. Press OK to begin formatting.
- Plug the USB cable from scanner to computer.
- Turn on the power of the scanner.
- Press the Up Button to select “SD to PC”, then YES, then press the OK Button for confirmation. For power saving the LCD screen is turned off when connected to a computer.